The error usually comes up after a bit of wait time for Project Professional to open and is caused because the request to open has not been authenticated in time.
In this case, please follow the below steps to resolve the problem:
- Open Project Professional 2016 by selecting ‘Computer’ as the account
- Go to File > Info > Project Web App Accounts
- Ensure that the ‘Computer’ account is to set to default.
- Select the accounts (other than Computer) one by one and Click ‘Remove’
- Close Project Professional 2016.
- Go to the Project Web App on the browser and try ‘Edit Project in Project Professional’ from the Project Centre.
If the error still occurs, please continue to the next step:
1. On your computer, Go to Start > Credential Manager
2. Click on Windows Credentials
3. Identify the list of credentials that start with ‘MicrosoftOffice16_Data:’. Given the number of Office 365 sites you have previously accessed, there could be more than a few credentials listed.
4. For every entry starting with MicrosoftOffice16_Data: , expand and click Remove.
5. On the popup message, ‘Are you sure you want to permanently delete this Generic Credentials?’ click Yes.
6. Once all the credentials starting with ‘MicrosoftOffice16_Data:’ have been cleared, please test the project again from Project Professional.
These steps have been used with success for various clients, and as such should be considered a first point of resolution when the issues above occur.
Learn more about our Microsoft PPM Support service or get in touch now.